Friday, May 9, 2008

First full day in China




I love this country! I am captivated by the people here. They are so kind and warm. I love showing them our picture of Libi Faith that is tied to our backpack. As soon as we show the picture they know that we are in China to adopt and they are so excited and happy. Of course, we are getting the most adorable little girl in China. :) I so wish that I could carry on a conversation with them. This country has so much cultural pride. I am blown away by the business and continual labor seen everywhere as they are preparing for the Olympic games. They are working so hard to give the world their BEST. The world will be drawn in, for sure. Beijing in and of itself, is quite the city. 18 million people living here.


We had the wonderful privilege of seeing the Great Wall today. Because we are hooked up with the most incredible tour guide, we went to a less popular spot of the wall. It was very quiet and peaceful. It was not what you would expect. In fact, we rode up to the wall in a cable car, not such a big deal...but how we got down, that is another story. We took individual toboggans and slid down. It was quite fun. I was on Jacob's tail the whole time! He wasn't quite fast enough for his crazy mom. Let me tell you that toboggan cornered like it was on rails!!! Joel and Jack you would have loved that part.


We have enjoyed the other families in our tour group immensely. There are 6 other families. For me it has made this whole thing even more real and exciting. As we huffed and puffed climbing the wall today we teased with one another that we were doing quite well for being 9 months pregnant. One of the families has a darling little blonde haired blue eyed 5 year old daughter. It is like walking around with Shirley Temple. Everyone here wants to touch her and have pictures with her.


Tonight we went to see a Chinese Acrobat show that was quite amazing. Have you ever seen 12 women on one bike? The lady who could pretty much bend in half backwards was a little disturbing, and I had to look away. At the show we met 3 families who were sitting behind us that would soon be uniting with their sweet little ones. It is so amazing to share in this experience with others.

Now the food...I think I was destined to eat it. I LOVE it! We have had the most amazing meals. We will see what the rest of our stay has in store, but so far, I am glad we have had a lot of exercise because the way I'm eating, it could get ugly fast. I am tired, but I am not sensing any "jet lag". I just feel ready for bed. Thank you for praying! It is abundantly clear that we are so covered by all of you. Jacob is SACKED on the couch. He has really enjoyed his time also. We had a lot of fun being "bus buddies" and chatting on our bus rides. I could go on for much longer, but I have 2 boys that are already OUT and I am heading that way.

We love you all! You have no idea how much we LOVE hearing from each of you. It means more than you know!

12 comments:

Sanders Family said...

Hey!!!!!! You guys look wonderful!!!!!! I am loving this journey with you even more than I expected. It looks like it is cooler there than I thought-how nice!
Hey, wondered if you could rent a jet-zip on over to Henan Province and pick up a little "package" for me- wonder if she'd clear customs!?
We couldn't help but notice your guide has a few inches on you, Amy! Had a fun chuckle about that.
Praying for you as you drift off to sleep! Love you guys dearly, Laura

Irene said...

What a great day!! I'm so glad you're loving the country, the people and the food! I'm sure you'll be an expert on the chopsticks by the end of your trip! It looks like you have a fun group too. I would have loved a video of you on the toboggan, Amy! I'm sure you were like a little kid! The pictures are wonderful! Have a sweet sleep and can't wait for your next post. This is so exciting to follow along on your journey! You're almost to your angel!!! Love you all! Irene

BridgetdSmith said...

What a blast you have had!! And just think The BEST is just a day a way!!

The food looks scrumptious! And the travelmates are a PLUS!! What memories you will make!

I would have loved to see you all on that taboggin!! Weeee!

Rest well knowing you all are covered by His Wing and many prayers!

Hugs~B

Alyssa Marie said...

Your pictures are great!!!! Isnt CHINA amazing? I love the people, food, and culture too. I cant believe you are there... WOW! Know that I am praying for you every day... Can't wait to see Libi Faith in those pictures with you in just a few short hours :)
Love you all
Alyssa

Sherry said...

Hello - I LOVE all the pictures you posted. They are beautiful and truly amazing! What a blessing for you to have a group of families to be traveling with. You make me wish I was there (and I have never had a desire to travel to Asia. - Who knows, maybe the next one??)

The toboggan ride sounded like a blast! Last time I was on a toboggan, I was just days pregnant with Kaden (Lake Waubesa ski trip). I am amazed that you are riding one 9 months pregnant!

We are having a couple of families over for dinner tomorrow night, and I am hoping they won't get annoyed with the fact that I am going to be refreshing the computer the entire time they are here! They going to get see the messy side of me, as I can imagine I'll be sobbing my eyes out when I see pictures of you holding her. It's almost here!!!

You are CONSTANTLY in our thoughts and prayers! I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO HAVE HER!!!!!!

We adore you all! - Sherry :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys are having such a wonderful time there. I was worried about you and the food but I'm glad to see that's not a problem! Thanks for keeping up with the blog and pictures. It's a privilege to share this experience with you. You are on our minds and we're praying for you continually.

Love you all so much,

Jill

Anonymous said...

When I looked at the photos before reading your post I was very impressed that you climbed that high up the wall - then I read the post that you got a lift up the wall - sounds like your guide is really looking out for you guys. Glad that you've arrived safely and are enjoying your time. Can't wait for the next update. I'm counting down with you to Gotcha day. Almost there.

Josh S.

Anonymous said...

it looks SO beautiful there! I'm glad you guys are having fun!
~ Tory

Anonymous said...

Amy, Brad and Jacob,

Your previous mention of this devine moment and trip God has given you resonates in my mind. You hit the nail on the head. Enjoy every minute of this trip of a lifetime. He has you in the palm of His hand and will continue to smile on you.

I pray for Libi-Faith, that she knows her family instantly.

Much love,
Christy S.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ho, Kirken here.
Holy cow! How cool is it that you are half-way around the world and we have just seen pics of what you did today already! That there technology is purty nifty!
I've prayed for you pretty much all day every day and will continue to do so. I keep trying to imagine what you're doing and feeling. Can't wait (!!!!!!!!!) to see the first in-person Libi pics on Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to us all! Love you so much and will check in tomorrow!

The Millers said...

Oh how wonderful to see pictures of you on the Great Wall. Is the view not breathtaking?? It brings back so many memories! We are jealous about the toboggan ride down. We have to go back for that one!

I knew you would love the food! It makes you realize how "American" the Chinese food is here. We miss ya'll and I get this little smile on my face everytime we drive by your house. Oh,how excited I am you are there. I love the idea of Libi's picture on your backpack. The Chinese people are so appreciative that you are there to care for their "daughters". When we would walk around Shamian Island they would always comment on our 4 children. "Big family" they would say and give us a thumbs up! It really does seem like only yesterday.
You are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. Praying you sleep well and wake refreshed for the new wonders He has to show you. Love you so much!
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time already in your daughter's birth country! Why does that not surprise me? I can't believe we only have to get thru today and tonight, we are get the best blessing yet to come. It is all about your army back home right?

Praying you are sleeping and feel rested for the time to meet your precious Libi Faith.

We anxiously await the time you are united with your forever daughter.

We love you all!!

Steve and Lisa K.

Libi's song