Thursday, October 16, 2008

today...


I will read a book to Libi today.
Not that there is anything new about reading a book to Libi.
The book that I will choose to read today is new.
It’s a book that I have been saving, for today, October 16th.
I purchased this book long before Libi was birthed into my arms.
What is the significance of today?
Two years ago today Libi’s mother choose life for her.
On this day two years ago, Libi’s mother took her to the garage of an orphanage and left her there.
Libi was 6 months old.
She was left with a red slip of paper that had her birth date written on it, but no name.
I have wondered, why a birth date and no name. Did she think about Libi having a “new” name along with the “new” life she hoped for her to have?
I know that God has known her by every name she has had on earth and in heaven.
Not only was Libi’s birth date on the paper but also the time of her birth, 10:25 PM.
To me, this is a piece to Libi’s mother’s heart.
Not only did she feel it was important to tell just the date of Libi’s birth to whoever would find her, but the very minute she entered the world.
I think that minute was one of the greatest minutes of her mother’s life and the minute she said good-bye to her at 6 months of age was one of the saddest.
Can you picture a 6 month old baby?
Think of how their little personality is beginning to blossom.
They have that sweet baby chub.
Only love could have driven her to the place of knowing she could not help Libi.
She knew she was not well.
Her resources were not enough.
She had to make a choice.
Am I speculating?
I don’t know.
I don’t care.
I have had glimpses into this mama’s heart as I have held a piece of it in the flesh,
our daughter.


My hope and prayer on this day for Libi’s precious mommy, that you would know that
she is safe,
she is well,
she is loved,
and you are thought of with honor and respect!
Thank you for the gift of life you gave to me and most importantly to our daughter.

These are the words to the story I will read to Libi Faith Jia Qi today.

Motherbridge of Love by Josee Masse

Once there were two women who never knew each other.
One you do not know. The other you call mother.
Two different lives shaped to make you one.
One became your guiding star; the other became your sun.
The first one gave you life; the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love; the second was there to give it.
One gave you a body, the other taught you games.
One gave you a talent, the other taught you aims.
One gave you emotions; the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile; the other dried your tears.
One found a home for you that she could not provide.
The other prayed for a child; her hope was not denied.
And now you ask, of course you do, the question others ask me too;
This place or your birth place- which are you a daughter of?
Both of them, my darling – and two different kinds of love.


Here is a link to the books website.
www.barefootbooks.com/us/site/pages/productone.php?pid=2057&rep_code=US-A000513

Send yourself the e-card to see the illustrations and have it read to you. It is beautiful!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I just have to comment on your blog today because it touched me. Praise God that Libi's birth Mom chose LIFE and for her to put the actual time of birth! What a blessing we see her bringing to your family! Your last group of pictures really touched me seeing her sleeping next to big brother. What a blessing she is to your boys.

Whenever I look at my 2 adopted grandchildren I just wonder is Caleb's birth mom missing him? She is missing a little guy with so much energy and such a sense of humor! I also wonder how much Hope's Dad misses her and if he could see her now...she never stops smiling!! She is so precious!

We thank the Lord for such wonderful Christian homes. Amy you are such a Godly woman and Mom. You minister to me many times when I read your blog. Thank you!

Love you!

Marcia Bauer

Sherry said...

What a precious blessing to know this significant day in Libi's journey to her forever family. It's hard for a mommy's heart to even comprehend what must have gone through her birth mom's heart - both that day and today. As I read your post, I just wanted to come over and give sweet Libi a kiss and hug. She is right where God planned her to be - in the cradle of His hand, through the flesh on your arms. Love you dearly! - Sherry

Anonymous said...

Amy,

You have just made me cry over your post. I truly believe Libi's birthmom has peace knowing she is being loved and cared for by a wonderful family. God has given you an amazing huge HEART for this precious, precious little life. She could not have been given to a more incredible family than yours. You and Brad are such a BLESSING to her and your kids are following right behind. For us adopted mamas, these times are very real and it is truly the most sacrificial thing for a birthmom to do...CHOOSE LIFE! WE have been given such gifts.

All Praise and Glory to God for what He has done. Little Libi love, we love you so much! We are so thankful to celebrate your life and to have you in our lives. XOXO


Lisa and family!

BridgetdSmith said...

I find it VERY significant ...NOT coincidental that OUR daughters SHARE this date...October 16th!

They BOTH were given LIFE on this day! Selah was found on this date with the gauze around her umbilical cord still damp....

They chose , their birth mom's , CHOSE life for them... I find it very compelling to intruct Selah how to find LIFE.... only with & through JESUS!!

I am glad we are walking this journey...5 doors down!


LOVE you & that My Libi LU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is Izzy's favorite book. I know that Libi will cherish it also. I pray those very things for Izzy's mom. It's so hard to comprehend the sacrifice they made for their daughters. They are to be honored and respected for what they did. I am so grateful we shared our Gotcha Days. My prayer is that one day Izzy and Libi will have much to share. Much love to you my friend.

Kari C. said...

Amy, What a blessing to know the exact day and time Libi was born. Our children are so amazing! I am so thankful everyday that their birthmothers chose life for them! I pray that they know how much they are loved! You are the mommy that God chose to "fight" for Libi and her bright future. I love the words of that book, but wish it was for a boy. :o)

Hugs from Omaha!
Kari

The Clements said...

Amy, I cried when I read your post today! I think of Daniel's birth mom often, and he is starting to ask questions about her now. Isn't it amazing to think of the love these women had for their children? I imagine that if Daniel's birth mom could see him today, she would be totally amazed at all he is doing and experiencing. Thanks for your beautiful words of honor and thanksgiving to Libi's birth mom. It was a great reminder to me of the gift of life that we have been given. Loved the pictures of your vacation too! They are precious!!!!
Love, Lora

emily said...

So precious! Thank you for contacting me- what an encouragement to this mothers heart!

Libi's song