Friday, March 6, 2009

Unfortunately Libi went through another episode of seizures. On Tuesday she began to show signs of an infection, which for Libi seems to aggravate her seizure condition.

I found myself leaving her music class early trying to get to Walgreen's to get some medication in her before she became too ill. As I sat at the intersection about to turn, I "lost" her. I could see her eyes rolling back and she became unresponsive. So, what does a mom do? Well, the only thing I know how to do is cry out to the One who comes to my aid every time I need Him..."Jesus, help me!" Help me he did. He guided my van to the ER. Don't ask me how I got there. I really can't remember. :) Although I remember a car honking... Once inside it didn't go so well. This mama was screaming in the hallway for oxygen and demanding meds to be administered to stop the seizure after almost 20 minutes...not a good time in the ER.

Libi just couldn't pull out of this one. She battled with it for about 30 minutes. Once the medicine was administered she did better. They had to transport her to Children's Hospital in Peoria because they could not get her seizure under control. She did well in the ambulance, but once she arrived at Children's it became quite stressful. I was very thankful that we were there. The room was so jammed with Doctors that I could hardly see my baby. Libi was actively seizing and I could tell the situation was tense. They were talking about the Pediatric ICU and they were bringing in equipment to inti bate. I cannot tell you how thankful I was for the timing. God allowed her little body to sustain the trip in the ambulance. She was then in the best place and very capable hands...not that God's aren't the best! They were able to get her stabilized and the lead doctor from the PICU came to access her condition. He felt we could hold off on putting her in the PICU unless she began to seize again. She was then moved to an area where she could be closely monitored. There she was hooked up to million cords and wires! Quite the site! Little Libi was covered with little probes and wires all over her head, and then a gauze turban around it all. The wires all over her head were for an EEG, a test to watch her brain activity overnight. the bummer about this was, it made it very difficult to hold her. My arms just ached to rock her. The scary thing for me was that Libi had not been coherent since about 11:15 when her first seizure began. I so badly wanted her to open her eyes and recognize her mama. It wasn't until about 10:30 that night that she was back with me. It was brief, but just enough to allow me some sleep knowing that she was going to be okay. She just continued to improve from there. They ran a lot of tests and drew a lot of blood...how I hate IV's and blood draws! It took 12 people before we had success in getting blood from her. Needless to say, she is carrying a lot of war wounds! After a couple of nights in the hospital they felt she was doing well enough to come home. Right now, we understand that the seizure was likely brought on by a viral infection. We were given some medication that we can administer on our own should she begin to have a seizure again. We are still awaiting the results of her MRI.

Let me just tell you first and foremost TO GOD BE ALL GLORY! His perfection in timing is miraculous. I was only about an hour away from being on the interstate with Libi on our way to an appointment. He gave us divine appointments all along the way...people to tell of His love and share His great story that He is writing in Libi's life. The night before all of this happened He spoke to me through His word about fear. There really isn't a lot that brings fear to me like the fear that I experience when Libi is having a seizure. I am so fearful of losing her. Not just losing her to death, but losing her to more trauma to her little head. In these most recent moments of fear He gently reminded me...no matter what...HE WAS WITH ME...HE WOULD WORK IT ALL TOGETHER...IT WAS UNDER HIS AUTHORITY...IT WAS PLANNED...IT WAS PURPOSED! I am not sure if that makes sense, but I being streched to a new place of FAITH with my Libi FAITH. My hope and prayer is that this would be our last mother daughter journey down the "seizure road", but if not I will not fear because He is with me, He will strengthen me and help me and uphold me with His mighty right hand!!!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm praying for your whole family! I spent a lot of time at St. Francis when a sweet boy I take care of ended up there in December due to seizures and then again last month when I had 5 seizures in one day. It's a good place, but I know the fear so well! Praise God that He is a comforter and a healer! I will continue to pray for Libi's precious body to heal and feel better! I know how exhausting seizures are on your body! Also praying that this will be the last of the seizures for your sweet girl! And praying that God our Father will comfort you all during this difficult time and will remove all fear as you rest in His peace and perfect love! I'll be fighting for you guys! Much love!

emily said...

Oh I'm so sorry Amy. I know the fear you talk of and it is just so scary, but fear not because He has overcome the world my friend!! Thankful she is home and better. Praying with you that that was your last journey of that sort together.

I cried looking at the daddy pics- something so precious about that relationship.

Hope you guys have a relaxing weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy how scary! I had those chills run down my body as I read. Praise God for his mercy and protection. How incredible that you looked back at Libi at just the right time. Praying for you and Libi.

Anonymous said...

Arnolds,
How great is our GOD!!! He is so wonderful in helping us, the Mighty Healer. I will be praying for sweet little Libi. I love watching her loook at herself in the mirror:) My family has been praying for Libi, and we will continue.

Love you Libi,
Sydney S.

megs @ whadusay said...

God is most definately using Libi to strengthen the faith of those she meets (and hasn't met yet), Kory and mine included. So thankful she is doing better. We are praying for your family.

2 China 4 Addison said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry your sweet Libi had to go through this again. And sorry for you too. But SO thankful for our mountain moving God who is watching over us, and doing everything in His perfect timing.
So glad to hear she is home and doing better....praying for you guys.

Libi's song